I had the opportunity to join a workshop with Diana Montalion and did a little sketchnote during her presentation.
Find out more about Diana Montalion.
try "YES AND"
Instead of saying "NO" immediately, try improv theater. They use a technique where you always say "Yes, and...".
linear to non-linear thinking
In order to change the way you think, you need to understand HOW you think first.
Recommendations to find out how you think:
- Journaling 🖋️ — It helps to watch your thinking process. It helps to structure your thoughts.
- Make recommendations based on valid reasons — More about systemic reasoning below
- Use the iceberg model to understand what causes your reactions — It's based on patterns, structures and finally mental models.
A recommendation can be an idea, an action or a theory. Your recommendation should be based on valid reasons if you want others to give it a try.
strengthen your reasons
This is best done together. Qualities to create strong and valid reasons:
- RELIABLE — Is my reason true and justified?
- RELEVANT — Why does it matter now?
- STRONG — Is it well-defined and sufficient?
- COHESIVE — inference and convincing
Let others help you question your reasons using the Yes AND technique.